Monday, March 5, 2018

Habitat Cardigan

Habitat Cardigan by Make and Do Crew 

I absolutely fell in love with this pattern as soon as I saw it. It looked so simple and inviting in that beautiful charcoal color. (see the above blog link to see the amazing original) But alas I had no charcoal yarn. Actually I had no worsted weight yarn of any color in the needed amount; I was heartbroken.
However I did have 4 beautiful skeins of Lionbrand Mandala Yarn in Gnome colorway. I decided maybe it could work.
Have you ever tried substituting a yarn in a pattern? If you haven't here is a tip, generally you want to use the same weight as called for in the pattern.So this pattern called for worsted weight, and if you haven't guessed already, the yarn I had was not worsted....its acutally a dk weight.
One might think this was the end of my cardigan sweater journey, but its not, because Jess over at Make and Do Crew is pretty amazing!
I messaged Jess on Instagram and asked if she thought I could make the sweater work with dk. She suggested I just give it a try using a hook that I could match gauge with so that is what I did! And here is what you'll need if you want an awesome rainbow cardigan like mine.

  • First go decide what size you want your cardigan Pattern is Here This is the free version of the pattern, for a small fee you can get an ad free pdf, either way its the same great pattern, I worked from the free version, but may buy the pdf if I decide to make another. 

 I wanted the fit of a medium so I chose the size large to make (this is important if you want to use a smaller yarn, pick one size larger or more depending on how loose you want your sweater to fit)


  • Ok if you decide to use Mandala yarn I used about 2 1/2 cakes in the Gnome colorway. There are soooo many great colorways to choose from in this type of yarn. Fairy and Griffin are two of my other favorites in the Mandala yarn. 
  • I ended up using a  L 7.0mm hook and my rectangle measured the medium size perfectly 
  • I also used stitch markers from Joann's when I got to the putting it all together stage.
This is a really simple pattern, its hard to believe this simple rectangle creates such a cute sweater.

If you like the look of this sweater please go try out Jess' pattern at Make and Do Crew, you won't be sorry, I promise. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Vincent Cloak

Have you heard of the amazing designer and blogger Knot Bad? Well I am here to tell you he is truly one of a kind. You can check him out her...