Friday, March 16, 2018

Imaginitive Creatures


It started with a book I got for Christmas, Edward's Crochet Imaginarium. This book is just spectacular. If you've ever wanted to jump into amigurumi I would strongly suggest you get one of Kerry Lord's books. They are so well written and they add a level of fun that other books just don't have.

This books pages are split into thirds, heads, arms, and legs. You can flip through and create millions of different creature options. From wild hair to webbed hands and feet. Furry bodies or striped. Polka dots or 6 arms, the ideas are limitless.

I really love this book in particular because it is not classic animals, although I have Kerry's book Edward's Menagerie and it is amazing in its own right, I like the creativeness of this book. It gives the crocheter or the person choosing the ability to express themselves through their choices. No two creatures ever need to be alike unless you choose them to be. I love how different all the creatures I have mad have turned out.

This book is written in UK crochet terms, but as you can see most patterns are done in a UK dc (double crochet) which is a US sc (single crochet) so converting the pattern while working them is super easy!

There are also sections on tails, stuffing and finishing, and a section telling what size hook to use with different weights of yarn. All these first ones I have made have been made with worsted weight Red Heart Yarn. This last one I did however was made using Lionbrand Mandala in the Gnome colorway. Her name is Matilda and my daughter just loves her! How could she not! Just look how cute she is!

She is quite a bit smaller than her big brother, Mr. Topknot. I love how different  a pattern can turn out just by changing yarn weight and hook size. 


My favorite section of this book is the gallery, which give a list of which features were used for ALL the creatures on the cover of the book as well as a little story/personal bio on each creature with their name and where they are from. It is really so cute and add such a fun touch to the book. This section inspired me to give a name and story to each creature I make. I plan on writing a little bio on a tag of any creatures that are order from me in the future. 

These creatures were truly a joy to make, I plan to make many more. If you want to try some amigurumi creatures I highly suggest you get this great book by Kerry Lord. You won't be disappointed I promise!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Vincent Cloak

Have you heard of the amazing designer and blogger Knot Bad? Well I am here to tell you he is truly one of a kind. You can check him out her...